Radiator cool at bottom issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a garage conversion done and have an issue with one of the radators not heating up at the bottom, having read some of the likely causes my problem might be that the builder has connected 4 rads on the same 15mm run of pipe, The question is if I'm able to change say say 3/4m of that pipe back to 22mm would this help with the flow ??

At the new point where the 22m pipe then connects to the 15mm I could tee off to one of that rads then the 15mm would only be supplying 3 rads from that point.

The builder has suggested the system just needs balancing which I have tried myself, if I shut two radiators off upsairs it does solve the problem but I feel I'm restricting the flow to the first floor rads just to get the hall and garage room warm.

I'm also toying with getting a system flush done.

Thanks for any replys.

Sponsored Links
I've recently had a garage conversion done and have an issue with one of the radators not heating up at the bottom, having read some of the likely causes my problem might be that the builder has connected 4 rads on the same 15mm run of pipe, The question is if I'm able to change say say 3/4m of that pipe back to 22mm would this help with the flow ??

At the new point where the 22m pipe then connects to the 15mm I could tee off to one of that rads then the 15mm would only be supplying 3 rads from that point.

The builder has suggested the system just needs balancing which I have tried myself, if I shut two radiators off upsairs it does solve the problem but I feel I'm restricting the flow to the first floor rads just to get the hall and garage room warm.

I'm also toying with getting a system flush done.

Thanks for any replys.
How old is the original system and boiler?

if quite old it’s possible system has sludge in pipes restricting flow.

Im not a plumber, so could be talking carp….hopefully a pro heating engineer will be along to advice shortly.

Sponsored Links
The boiler is 11 years old but the radiators about two, while the garage conversion was being done we found the pump was connected to the return pipe so most likely pumping backwards for 11 years, I have tried cleaners in the system over the last year but just thought maybe a power flush might help improve the flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back