Radiator paint removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a pile of hot-water radiators(i suspect the system used to be a steam system, not sure if that makes a difference).
They have been painted white at some point(house is from 1920s, and i think it only had one previous owner and when we moved in it seemed everything had a coat of white paint on it).

Now the paint is flaking off the radiators, among other things in the house(ceiling, molding,banister,windows...)

With a new born in the house I'm trying to clean all this up and I have ideas on how to fix the other paint issues, but the radiators seem like a huge project to do with stripper and wire brushes, anyone have other ideas? I've heard about sandblasting them but i guess that doesn't fall in the diy area as teh equipment for sandblasting is quite pricey.

I have seen one post by someone claiming to use oxy-acetaline to burn the paint off. I can get ahold of equipment from my uncle to do that i think and even get gas at cost, assuming he gives me a discount, has anyone tried that? Maybe that's a bad idea. Sounds fun and dangerous though hahah.

Thanks for the help people.

Sponsored Links
Unless they are feature radiators which you want to keep have you considered just replacing them?

.........have you considered just
replacing them?

He did say

(i suspect the system used
to be a steam system, not sure if that makes a difference).

So, I suspect they look like
TALL-ED-2-big.jpg

Sponsored Links
They look like that, except for the inch or so galvanized pipe that go to them, instead of the half inch copper in that picture. I assume thats half inch copper at least.

Is the suggestion to replace them with other radiators or a baseboard heat? Baseboard heat would require quite a bit of re-plumbing i think

I live near Woodstock so I feel like i should reuse the existing radiators instead of getting new. That whole "greenish" lifestyle i guess. hahah.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back