Radiator problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a problem with one of my upstairs radiators, its stone cold all of the time, however if i turn off the other rads upstairs it then becomes hot! but if i then turn back on just one of the other rads it goes luke warm then cold again!.
Ive tried bleeding, and i cant figure out wich is the balance valve as they both look the same. could it be a balance problem?
Hope someone can help,
Thanks.
Mike.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have a similar problem that I have not yet resolved. I think it may be the pump not being man enough for the system.
If I solve the problem I shall let you know.
Let me know if you fix it.

Kev B

If it warms up at any time it's a balancing issue not bleeding.The balancing valve is the lockshield cover one (tall one).If your covers are mixed up its the cooler pipe of the two when the system heats up.Close all the balance valves turn heating on and go round opening them,starting with the furthest from the boiler open about half a turn and slightly more with the subsequent rads.
Did you do any modifications or work on the system which kicked off the problem?

Thanks Simon but I would have thought it would have been the other way round? Shouldn't the rads furthest away be open more?

I have just moved into the house so I don't know the order of the rads yet.

Kev B

Sponsored Links
oops I said furthest....sorry.You need to start nearest get a drop of about 20 degrees f and then work to the furthest,then go round them again!

sorry for butting in, but i did not understand simon's final reply

No I'm having a bad thread aren't I?. buy 2 radiator thermostats or similar and strap one to the flow and one to the return with the flow valve full open and the return (lockshield ) closed.Open the return valve on the closest rad to the boiler until the temperature is around 20 degrees farenheit lower than the flow,probably about half a turn on the first one.Do the same on all the rads working away from the boiler.Then go and do it all again and you won't end up far out.

Thanks, I'll try this. I only have one pipe thermometer but that means it will just take a little longer.

Kev B

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back