Radiator will not stay hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Firstly having browsed this site/forum for a while - I find the information, experiences and technical knowledge outstanding.

My problem is a radiator in my conservatory.

When it was first installed a few years back it near seemed to get hot from the outset. I have not bothered with it since - (more fool me) :LOL:

However, as I do enjoy sitting in there in winter, I have finally decide to take the plunge and get it working.

:arrow: I have bleed the radiator - free flowing water no hiss since installed.
:arrow: Valves/thermostat work alright.

Today - I shut off all the upstairs radiators including the one in our upstairs shower room (this does not have a thermostat - closed off valve)

Similarly - shut off valves to 2 downstairs radiators and left our living room one fully operative.

Hey presto - the conservatory radiator became boiling hot within a few minutes - all pipes hot - it was great.

I decided to leave it for an hour. Then I re-opened all the valves on the other radiators but balanced the thermostatic ones in the 3 bedrooms - open them half way (no:3 rather than full).

As son as I had done this - the conservatory radiator after a few minutes went lukewarm - then cold. The inlet pipe to it also when lukewarm as though it was not calling for heat (thermostat on full by the way).

I have now tried everything within my knowledge including reading the information on here.................can anyone suggest any other tests??? How can I keep this radiator constant hot???

Sponsored Links
Heating a conservatory is very expensive in energy consumption and is largly not permitted under the building regulations.

It sounds as if your conservatory rad was added to your existing system and has a significantly greater flow resistance.

The whole system meeds to be properly rebalanced. You may find instructions in the FAQ section on this web site.

Tony

Thank you for your quick reply Tony.

I suspect that with the building regulations, a fair few global individuals would be affected :eek:

However, I note your suggestion and will have a further browse/read of the information available.

I would like to advise that in the short space of it actually working as mentioned, the room in question was lovely and warm - which is what I require to enjoy it during the cold spells. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back