Radiators Always On

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

My ancient boiler (in my ancient house) like to heat up my radiators even when i want hot water only.

The timer thingy works ok, but when heating is set to "Off" and water to "On" or "Timed" - the heating comes on as well.

Only just started happening - any advice much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Possibly motorized valve by-passing and not shutting down 100% or programmer faulty which link up to the motorized valve.

cheers,

i might try another programmer for starters then

more investigation.

i think it's the motorised valve (i've got one for the heating and one for hot water). The valve turns automatically, i've also tried it manually but rads still heat up.

How easy is it to change the valve and what do i need to do to prepare, e.g. draining water etc. ?

Thanks in advance !

Sponsored Links
Ive got a Myson Apollo Boiler, not very old. Now that its summer I need hot water only. I only get hot water if the central heating comes on too.

I think its a fully pumped system. I could do with some help. My motorised valve has a lever which is positioned to one side. If I move to the other end what will happen. What does Manual actualy mean? Does it mean I have manually shut off the central heating?/

Thx in advance

Sossage

Manually on the motorized valve wouldn't make any difference as it for open position.

Before you change the motorized valve you could try and swop the wires over from heating to hot water connection,then press the heating on (which is now on the water side),this should tell you that if the programmer is operating correctly and see if the problem is still there.

When you say the radiators heat up , is it all or some of them? It might not be your motorized valve but your system might need balancing

Aiyub

Motorized valve on auto works with the programmer, so when the programmer asking for hot water the motorized valve open up automatically,if it doesn't then you can by-pass it by open it manually but the programmer cannot shut it down as it on manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back