Radiators not heating to there full capacity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a heating system which comprises of a immersion tank (santon premier plus) for the hot water and a gas boiler (baxi solo 2). For ages I didn't really know how it worked and now figured out more on it.

Now the problem i'm having is that the radiators dont seem to be all warming up. Some take ages to warm up and even when they do they dont seem really hot. Majority of the radiators seem fine and very hot but a few on the ground floor just dont get there. All the valves on the radiators seem ok and open and close like they should when twisted.

Can anyone advise what I can do before calling in a professional?

Sponsored Links
Turn off all radiators except one 'bad' one and see if the bad one heats up. Repeat with each bad one in turn. If each rad heats then your problem could be balancing. Balancing is where you restrict the flow to 'good' rads thus forcing flow to the bad ones, using the lockshield valves.

Turn off all radiators except one 'bad' one and see if the bad one heats up. Repeat with each bad one in turn. If each rad heats then your problem could be balancing. Balancing is where you restrict the flow to 'good' rads thus forcing flow to the bad ones, using the lockshield valves.
thanks for the reply. I'try that

other problem i have is one radiator is warm on top and cold at bottom?

Sponsored Links
It may be that when it gets hot, it'll be hot all over, but if it's hot at the top now, and cold at the bottom, then that suggests sludge in the radiator. You'd need to remove the rad, and flush it through with a hose. And if it is sludge, then you've got (or had) inhibitor issues.

Hopefully, it'll warm up evenly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back