Rainwater entering via flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an Ariston ACO combi and today when it's piddled it down, water is coming in through the flue.

It's dripping out where the flue joins together with another piece on the horizontal part. Can't take a pic as camera battery is flat unfortunately but it's the standard flue, goes up a few inches then curves to become horizontal and is joined to another horizontal piece. Basically the drip is where it joins.

Obviously this isn't right, but is it safe? Have it switched off at the mains whilst it drys (some has dripped inside) and obviously don't want to turn it back on until I'm sure it's not likely to be leaking fumes.

Will add a pic later if needed.

Cheers

Ben

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with this model, but in general terms.

1) For a non condensing horizontal flue, the flue should have a slight downward tilt as it exits the external wall, precisely so that rain does not get in, or drains out

2) its the opposite for a condenser as any water will be disposed of via the condensate drain

We have occasionaly had to re-drill/re-install horizontal flues to cure this.

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
its the opposite for a condenser as any water will be disposed of via the condensate drain
Had one last week on a baxi platinum that I fitted last March where the driving rain got down the outer flue duct and landed on the fan causing it to pop fuses on the board.
This hopefully occured because the guy who painted the rendering had left the rubber collar pulled forward and some freak aerodynamic occurence had allowed in the few egg-cup fulls that damaged the fan.

I'd have a word with Ariston Technical helpline to see if they have any experience of this. They may not of ocurse, but its always a good first call.

What you want to avoid is water inside the casing obviously, and if this is occurring regularly then the overall gradient of the flue may be incorrect, and may require a revised flue route which does not rise as yours does. I don't know the practicality of this of course, but that must be the aim. If the flue terminal has to be above a certain height then a pluming kit is one answer.

The inner pipe on the flue is usually the one from the condense unit, so that is not quite so critical unless you are getting bucket loads in.

Alfredo

Thanks all.

Noticed the guttering is leaking a few inches away from the flue so that may be the cause, will try and get that sorted tomorrow and if it carries on happening once thats sorted, will call out the original installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back