rcd problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have read about rcd problems. i have an old consumer unit with plug in fuses, its an annexe supply and only has 2 circuits. a ring main and a light circuit. Its been fine no problems till 2 days ago, the rcd trips, i removed both fuses and checked the wire both fine, i removed all electrical appliances and switched all lights off. switched unit off and reset the rcd, then switched the unit on, then put the light fuse in. i switched on 2 lights fine, went for a third and it tripped. so repeated the process only this time i put the ring main on, switched on a telly and it tripped. repeated and this time plugged a lamp intoa socket on the ring, switched it on and trip. so no one aplliance or light trips it, its as if its overloaded but then why now after 2 years when nothing new has been added? lastly i repeated and switched one light on and left it, after about 20 mins with no other loading on the circuits, it tripped out. Anyone have poss reasons? faulty rcd? or something else. Also the rcd has labels and a electricity board wire tag to prevent tampering, can i replace my self or have to call them out? any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
RCD problems can be either very simple or annoyingly difficult to diagnose. I really think you should call in a spark to investigate for you. Unless you are suitably qualified/authorised you should never cut seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back