Rcd tripping during the night and lights flickering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last few nights my rcd has been tripping at various times quite a few times early morning. I have switched different appliances off and it still trips.
Sometimes the lights flicker and can hear a crackling sound from a socket, this same socket is switched off during the night.
There have been evenings/nights where is hasn't done any of the above? Can anyone please advise?

Sponsored Links
Get a new socket if you can and when you have time take the socket off for inspection and replace it.

Is there water in the back maybe?

Are you sure the noise is coming from the socket and not the fuse box?

Thankyou, It is definitely from the socket as we have lights on the mantel piece which flicker as it makes the noise. Could a socket affect tge main ceiling lights, upstairs and down. Also this socket isn't switched on overnight, and it doesn't trip during the day when it is in use only on the evening?

Are the mantel piece lights plugged into the socket ?

What else is on during the night off the socket circuit ? Washing machines?

It could be a loose connection in the back of the socket.

Not completely sure but if that's where the noise is coming from then worth inspection and replacement.

Are you sure it's the rcd that is tripping? What is market on the device that is tripping ? Or provide picture.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the mystic world of the RCD.

Theory is all well and good but in practice any poor connection either in or outside the house can cause an RCD to trip including thunder storms.

Modern RCD's have improved and they are not all the same even if they do all trip at 30ma within 40ms so the question is how to stop it tripping and clearly if you hear a crackling sound from a socket then that clearly needs changing before you try any of the other methods.

Even when not tripped by a spike it is often hard to work out what is tripping it. The device measures current on the line and neutral and if the same holds in and if they vary by more than 15ma it can trip and must trip at 30ma.

Line is not really a problem any leak line to earth will cause the same current to flow so simply taking in and out of service quite easy to work out what is at fault.

Neutral however is another story as when no current is being draw it is at the same potential as earth so any connection to earth will not cause current to flow. But as we start to draw current then there is a potential difference between neutral and earth so current will flow and it will trip the RCD.

So with a sultana stuck in a toaster causing a small connection between neutral and earth when the kettle is used the RCD may trip. Nothing wrong with kettle it's the toaster at fault.

So first job unplug all not in use. With items using a fused connection unit (FCU) these have double pole switches so switching off is good enough.

Yes I know my toaster is never unplugged but if my RCD started tripping then I have a PAT tester and I can quickly test all my equipment you have I assume no such aids so it's a case of unplugging all items after use.

If the socket is on a ring final and there is a loose wire it could cause the RCD to trip even when nothing plugged into that socket so that has to be first thing change the socket.

The lights are plugged into an extension along with the tv. Thankyou for your advice I have got an electrician coming looking at it tonight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back