Re-panelling garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning.
I am about to have a go at re-panelling our garage door. As you can see in the picture, the panelling and sheet of wood behind are rotten at the bottom and arent really in much of a decent condition all round. The stud work behind looks fine though.

My idea is to pull all the old panelling and sheet of wood, insulate the stud and replace. The question is - what type of wood should I use? Obviously I want everything to be as secure as possible so I was thinking 18mm thick sheet of ply and then repanel using some sort of timber and quadrant mouldings to frame, then paint black.

Is there a certain wood I should look to do this in? Would I need to treat first? Or does anyone have any alternative ideas? I dont really want to fork out for a new metal door, as the decent ones cost over 1k!

Thanks for any help in advance!
Dave

Attachments

• door.jpg
    door.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 198
Sponsored Links
Didnt think about pvc cladding! The Shiplap Cladding doesnt look too bad and easy enough to install.

Sponsored Links
Around 8 years ago I replaced my up and over with a remote control electric roller shutter door, I bought as a complete kit, ready to fit for around £500 from a manufacturer. The up and over door, was a replacement for a pair of large heavy wooden doors which had rotted at the bottom and were a constant problem anyway, opening them when it was windy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back