Rebuilding patio step and damp proof course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to remove the step down from the house to the patio because it was breaching the damp proof course and causing all the end of the joists at the back of the house to become rotten. Now I am looking to rebuild it and tidy the whole area up.

I have glanced at the solutions here: http://www.pavingexpert.com/dpc01.htm
but it suggests any channel I put in, between the house and the step, needs to drain somewhere. However, the main drain seems awkward to easily drain in to.

Will i cause myself problems by letting the water just soak in to the ground? Or is there a better option?

2015-08-23 16.12.59 (Medium).jpg
2015-08-23 16.13.04 (Medium).jpg

Sponsored Links
If your damps joist were caused by water bridging the cavity then simply keeping the step seperate from the wall, by a strip of 6'' dpc perhaps, will solve the issue. how you then drain the surface water from the step and patio is up to you but should not affect your interior unless the dpc is breached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back