Refilling Gloworm Hideaway FF Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Anybody know how to refill this boiler after systems been drained?
I know how to do it on a combi as there is a filling loop

Can't find it on this boiler.

Cheers

[/img]

Sponsored Links
There will be a central heating header tank in the loft with a ball valve.
Water to this needs to be connected to fill the system up.

Thanks.
I'm a bit clearer but:

Is there a valve on the header tank that I manually open to refill the tank and does it stop filling automatically when its full?

Should i switch the boiler off before draining?

What about the hot water tank in the airing cupboard -any switches controls need turning on/off during the process?

What i am doing is putting sludge remover into system (via one of the radiators) is there an easier point to add this in?

Sorry for the questions.

Cheers

there should be two tanks in the loft on your open vented system.

one is the cold water cistern for the hot water,
the other is the feed and expansion tank for your radiators and boiler.

in the airing cupboard there might be a stop tap on the rising main that feeds the tanks, they're normally ball floats (like in older toilets) so they only refill as they empty and stop once they float again.

before you drain down, clean out the smaller F+E (feed and expansion) tank best you can as there will be sludge in there that could block up the pipe work.

once thats done, tie up the float on the F+E tank to stop it refilling,
drain down,
go back into the loft, add your sludge remover to the tank and let the float go free to refill the system, bleed as normal.

Repeat above with corrosion inhibitor once you come to drain the sludge remover out.

Sponsored Links
Make sure the boiler is OFF, preferably isolated from the electrical supply so it cant fire while the system is empty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back