Rejoining Ceiling Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted a related thread in building but my question is specifically roofing related so putting it here.

House is a 1950ish Hip Roof construction. A long time ago the previous owning converted the loft (not properly) and we now want to turn it back to normal and have more space in the second bedroom. The stairs to the loft had required them to removal/cut 5 ceiling joists.

They overlap at the central load bearing wall (apart from the 5 cut)

What should I do to reinstate the original function of the joists?

Do the ceiling joists in hip roof still tie the rafters together Etc?

Overlap of joists over load bearing wall

View media item 92903
Cut joists

View media item 92904

Sponsored Links
Any ideas guys?

The pic below gives a rough idea of what I want to do.. but obvious tieing across all the ceiling joists.

Should these joints be nailed or bolted?

View media item 92938

Just realised the wood I have bought is not C16 timber. Should I take this back and get the C16 instead?

The only downside is the C16 is 45mm x 70mm after it is planed and won't match the 3 x 2" ceiling joists already there..... or should I pack out with 5.5mm ply?

Are there any signs that the hip rafters have moved, or that the eaves have spread?

If not then drill pilot holes and screw the new joist inserts to the old joists.

What is the purpose of the long "binder" on top of the short cross pieces?

Sponsored Links
Hi ree, the hip and common rafters and seem unsettled. The brickwork under the soffits is also in very good condition.

I imagine these pieces have been cut for more than 25 years. I just want to refit to close off the stairs and reinstate some of the original roof structure.

Oh and the purpose of the cross binder is to allow loft flooring to be laid for additional storage at the same height as the rest of the floor. This is what had been done before although it doesn't fill me with confidence...

Your reply is contradictory?

When roofs spread the ridge can be seen (from the ground) to sag a little.

Sorry ree which bit is contradictory?

The ridge is very short on this house but it does not sag ....

"hip and common rafters and seem unsettled." "brickwork ... is also in very good condition."

Sorry!

Terrible use of words.

I meant the rafters are fine and don't show any signs of movement or sagging.

Got a question about building regs for this work I did.... I am a diyer.

The joists were cut pre 1990. All I have done is fitted some new equivalent timber in and screwed together to support the ceiling. I may add more timber in top to finish boarding the loft out though.

Was this work I should have informed bc about? Are there any implications?

Guessing that's a no Richard? Once it's done it won't be seen and it will be boarded from the loft side too. Also no less safer than before

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back