Relocating gas meter to external wall in "Inset box&quo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just phoned my local company who does this work and they have quoted me £390 to relocate my gas meter to an external box on the side of the house. They have said that this price includes the fitting of a surface mount box which stands out from the wall by 8 inches!! They did say that you can get an "inset box" which I would need to source myself and fit myself before the meter relocation.

I would prefer to do this and it should be an easy job - Just cutting a square in the wall and removing the outer layer of bricks - should be each enough.

Does anyone know of where I can get one of these external inset gas meter boxes from and if there are different sizes and colours (brown / black to keep her happy) ???

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

Sponsored Links
mark.carline said:
I have just phoned my local company who does this work and they have quoted me £390 to relocate my gas meter to an external box on the side of the house. They have said that this price includes the fitting of a surface mount box which stands out from the wall by 8 inches!! They did say that you can get an "inset box" which I would need to source myself and fit myself before the meter relocation.

I would prefer to do this and it should be an easy job - Just cutting a square in the wall and removing the outer layer of bricks - should be each enough.

Does anyone know of where I can get one of these external inset gas meter boxes from and if there are different sizes and colours (brown / black to keep her happy) ???

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

An insert box cools the house like hell. Cold air zips up the cavities cooling the house right down. It could put 10% or more on your heating bill. If you do put one in, seal up the cavity all around the opening with spray foam. Also try to get some foam sheet insulation between the inner brick wall and the back of the cupboard. Some thin foam is available.

Sponsored Links
Colour should not be a prob anyway, I painted mine with a single flowing coat of non-drip gloss and it's lasted more than ten years and still looks fine, no peeling or cracking.

I occasionally give it a wash when I'm cleaning the car.

edited: On the insulation - whenever I make a hole in a cavity wall, I line the cavity round the hole with a wad of fibreglass roof insulation. Easy to do, and stops mortar falling down the cavity when you're making good.

The expanding foam is good for holding things securely in place as it is very sticky and sets rigid. Will prevent draughts and fill cracks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back