Removing Gloss Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reently purchased new house and prevous owner had managed to spill tin of gloss paint onto gable end wall (facing bricks). Amy ideas how to remove this paint (been there for many years)

Sponsored Links
I would recommend their Kling Strip. I have been stripping thick layers of gloss paint from my kitchen walls. Kling Strip works very well but is expensive if you have a lot to do.

A cheaper option is this: put 1 litre of cold water in a bucket. Add 300g of caustic soda. Mix carefully with a long stick. Add and mix in plain flour until it reaches a wet porridge consistency. Apply fairly thickly to wall wearing rubber gloves and using a flexible scraper. Cut up plastic bags and stick them to the mixture to prevent it drying out too quickly. Leave it for a few days. You may find that it will all fall off, or you may need to peel it off. Then you might need to do a bit of scraping and lots of washing with lots of water. Be very careful as caustic soda WILL BURN YOUR SKIN (see fight club for example).

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back