Removing top fix toilet seat - need help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I am struggling to remove the toilet seat off our downstairs toilet. It's become wonky and I need to tighten it but I can't get to the bolts.

Our one upstairs has a quick release button and I've run my hands all over looking for one but nothing seems to be there. There doesn't seem to be any caps to remove. It moves forward with some force applied but then doesn't move away.

It doesn't have bolts underneath.

I'm at my wit's end and am considering taking a hacksaw to it. Help!

Sponsored Links
Is that a manufacturers label on the underside of the lid?
Do you know who the manufacturer is and/or what style it is?
It's hard to be able to offer advice/suggestions on the photo's you have posted.

It just gives info about cleaning. No idea of the manufacturer as we've not lived in this house long. Would any other pictures help clarify?

It may not be fitted from top, could have seat fitted at install so cutting off may be easiest option .

Sponsored Links
You could take a chance on it having plastic bolts, in which case you could probably "saw" through them with a thin serrated kitchen knife and replace the bolts with new top fix ones. But as foxhole says, quite common to fit and then push to wall so if steel bolts then it's probably cut the seat off time. Don't be tempted to remove the toilet - the pan connector and flush pipe seals don't like being disturbed and will often start leaking.

Expect to seat to slide towards the front of the pan, so if you were kneeling in front of the toilet it would move horizontally towards your chest. Sometimes there is a release tab at the back of the part of the hinge that sits on the pan (so along the bottom edge of the hinge in your second photo).

It moves towards me but then I can't move it out of the way and I can't find a release tab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back