Removing WC pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a WC pan. The old one doesn't have the modern type of connection to the soil pipe. It is joined to the soilpipe with hard stuff (plumber's mait?).

Does anyone know the best way to remove this stuff. I'm scared to use a chisel in case i crack the soilpipe.

Pete

Sponsored Links
if ur worried about the soilpipe..smash the pan instead ?

Sponsored Links
That's the standard method. Hit round the pan spigot with a hammer - it isn't very strong. The stuff in your soil pipe colar is probably "Prompt" cement (mortar) which will be very hard, but quite brittle. If you're nervous about starting to break it out you can drill it with a diy hammer drill and make a couple of holes to get you going.

Easier, is to cut the cast iron pipe off behiind the collar. The current loo connectors go into the 4" bit of the pipe so you don't want the ugly collar anyway. You can use an angle grinder (small is easiest) or a hacksaw with a good coarse blade, or a recip saw with a good long hss blade.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back