Render over flashing

It may take a long time - if at all - for the chimney breast to dry out.

If the rain has been getting in for some time, there may be salt deposits in the brickwork and plaster which are hygroscopic and which attract moisture, eg from condensation. This can make it look as though rain is still getting in, when in fact it might not be.

Most contributors to this thread have slagged-off the workmanship, and they are not wrong; one can sympathise with your predicament because the work just doesn't 'look right'. And the attitude of the 'builder' does suggest 'Rogue Trader'

But that of itself doesn't mean that what the man has done won't keep the water out. The ultimate scenario is proving to a County Court judge that it doesn't work, and that may be harder than people assume.

Sponsored Links
OK so here are some photos of the second chimney. The repair work is the grey patch at the base of the chimney.

So these work in these photos plus the ones above is £250.

What do you guys think?

I reckon that whoever did that work had serious mental issues and that you should try to negotiate a better price just to get rid of the lunatic on the offchance that if you don't then you might wake up with a horse's head in your bed.

Then get a reputable builder/roofer around to remove that turd and get a proper repair in place.

Well the mend on the 2nd chimney looks like a dollop of Acrypol- good stuff for emergencies but not exactly a permanent repair. The whole job is bodgetastic short-term disaster recovery (except the dodgy render- no idea what that's going to achieve). For £250 (assuming there was no scaffolding involved) you should have got a permanent repair.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your responses.

From what Tony says it might not be possible to prove whether the work keeps the water out or not. It seems quite unfair that I might be required to prove something that is unprovable. Next time it's raining I'll go up in to the loft and check both chimney breasts, which might give me a better idea.

But from what everyone else has said on the forum and from speaking to other roofing companies, I feel confident I will be able to prove the work hasn't been carried out to a good standard with reasonable care and skill, or to the standard of a reasonably competent trader, which is required by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

I was out while the guy was doing the work, but he had to use our neighbour's back garden to get access to the roof, they said it took him 30 minutes to do both chimneys.

So with all this information combined I reckon I'm in a strong position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back