Repairing plaster/ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice on how to fix these cracks properly. House was built in the 50s and has had little maintenance or redecorating since.

Most of the cracks are superficial but some like in the picture below an area of plaster is no longer attached to the brick. So I have removed the floating plaster. What is the best way to fix this, don't want to have to do it again in the near future.

photo1-6.jpg

Also, around the hatch to the loft there is considerable cracking, there is movement in the plaster board. I imagine it should probably be replaced. Suggestions on how to do this? Most of the ceilings are pretty good with just minor cracks between boards but this is much worse.

photo-2-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi antisoma, Those ceiling cracks look as though some one stood on the boards from up in the loft, if that is the case, then you should try to screw the damaged plaster board back to the joists, with non rusting screws, then cut in to the cracks lightly with a craft knife to rake out any loose bits of paint or plaster and give more depth for the plaster or filler to grip in to.

Then brush the cracks out with a splash brush and a weak mix of PVA adhesive. Just watch for scrim cloth before you scrape out the cracks, if you see the scrim, just scratch very lightly so that you don't cut the scrim cloth.

You could use either board finish, multi finish or filler, which ever suits you. Its probably best to use filler on the cracks as there is no shrinkage with it.
You just fill the cracks, scrape off the excess with a trowel and brush gently over it with a damp sponge you as it starts to set.

Where its gone back to the brickwork, you can use either carlite Browning, bonding, renovation plaster or even sand and cement mix, or Thistle and Sand, or multi finish and sand.

The way i would go with this, would be thistle finish for the cracks and Thistle finish mixed with sand for the bits that has gone back to brick work, then you only have to but two things for the job.

Finish mixed with sand can only be used where there is no damp, other than that it sounds.

Let us know how it works out. Good luck

Thanks for that very helpful. Nice to have some input before starting a job. This is the worst area of the house for cracks (top of the stairs) so will be taking my time and preparing it properly. Its going to take me weeks because the children are sleeping in the evenings and I work during the week.

Sponsored Links
If you have any more questions later on, just post back here, i will be only too pleased to try and help. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back