Replacing floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace some of my floor joists which have rotted. Our house is very small, only 12feet wide with one sleeper wall between the out side walls on either side. Due to the size of the rooms there is no way of installing a full joist without cutting it. Am I right in thinking that I can join two pieces together on the sleeper wall with timber connectors and if so how should I best do this. To my way of thinking I could either over cut the pieces and rest the offset piece in a joist hanger or alternatively cut the joist to exact size and then cut in half and sandwich the two pieces between two shorter lengths of timber on the sleeper wall. Any advice would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
As long the joists overlap the sleeper wallplate in the middle and no need to bolt them together, just screw it to the timber wallplate.

I have done a similar problem by taking out the air brick and slide the full length joist via the air vent!

thanks masona. There are no air bricks I can access in this room as it's just a galley kitchen and there's only 4 joists in the floor in total. However, I'll make sure there's a good overlap in the middle.

Thanks again

If there isn't any ventilation under the floor, best to put some air vent in unless the air flow is transfer from another room.

Sponsored Links
I think this room relies on ventilation from further down the house. I was going to put extra vents in. What distance apart should these be?

sagesdoor said:
thanks masona. There are no air bricks I can access in this room as it's just a galley kitchen and there's only 4 joists in the floor in total. However, I'll make sure there's a good overlap in the middle.

Thanks again

Dont go too mad with the overlap, just slightly past the wall plate will suffice.

sagesdoor said:
I think this room relies on ventilation from further down the house. I was going to put extra vents in. What distance apart should these be?
Doesn't really matter, normally every 8' to 10'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back