Replacing single glazing with double

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Much of our house has had the glazing replaced with modern pvc. Two original windows have been retrofitted with thin double.

One on our landing has single glazing. I don't really need the window to open, so I was wondering if there's any reason I couldn't replace the pane with a modern double glazed sheet.

I figured I could cut the divider flush with the frame and add one piece. It looks like the pane is probably held in place by thin strips off wood secured by panel pins from the outside. It's covered in paint but I'm reasonably sure

Is this a ridiculous idea?

20231118_133557.jpg

Sponsored Links
If the rebate will take it and your happy to cut new beading , then no its not a silly idea. Obviously you'll always be able to see where the transom you cut was

What about secondary glazing for this window instead?

It looks like the rebate is formed with a cock bead trim, which needs removing And replacing with narrower trim - you could buy some staff bead for sash windows say 25 x 15mm section and create a new rebate.

It could be machined all as one piece in which case could plant a bit of rectangular timber on top, set back from the existing round.

bear in mind if you fit conventional double glazing it needs an air gap of around 4mm to 5mm all round and the spacer bar needs say 12mm so your rebate should be say 15mm min (typically on modern timber windows it’s 18mm)

So total gazing rebate needs to be 15mm and the depth needs to be double glazing thickness say 22mm add on enough for glazing bead of 18mm gives a rebate width of 40mm

Sponsored Links
Or you could buy a ' stepped unit ' , so the single pane is still within the existing rebate and the second pane is within the property , you could then bead inside and use a larger bead outside to cover the sealant and spacer bar

Excellent info, thanks guys. I hadn't considered secondary glazing, so I might look at that for a temporary option until the weather is warmer.

I assume the transom doesn't provide much in the way of structural support. The window is 166cm in height.

Again, thank you for such informative replies.

Excellent info, thanks guys. I hadn't considered secondary glazing, so I might look at that for a temporary option until the weather is warmer.

I assume the transom doesn't provide much in the way of structural support. The window is 166cm in height.

Again, thank you for such informative replies.
Transom doesn’t add any strength it’s only there because of the fanlight opener above

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back