Replacing the glass of a window

mo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an extension to my house and now a patio window is between the dining room and the new room being the extension. I would like to replace the glass to be a frosty glass, but don't know any glass suppliers or what kind of glass to order. Can anybody help me, I live in the UK, Birmingham

Sponsored Links
as its now between 2 rooms was it origonaly an external patio door?

if so it will be double glazed, and you need a window company

alternatively try google for a stick on roll of plastic, i dont know what they are called but you can get it to make clear windows frosty, and if you change your mind you can remove it

breezer said:
as its now between 2 rooms was it origonaly an external patio door?

if so it will be double glazed, and you need a window company

alternatively try google for a stick on roll of plastic, i dont know what they are called but you can get it to make clear windows frosty, and if you change your mind you can remove it

yes it was orginally a patio door, but the two panes on the right have little casment windows in the top of the frame that I want to get rid of so that is why I have decided to replace the glass, I went on the pilkington website and found an address in Birmingham and will probably go this weekend to have a look

and the bit in italics, what do you mean I don't think that it is double glazing at the moment

60526001.jpg.BMP

60526002.jpg.BMP

60526003.jpg.BMP

Sponsored Links
re the italics, double glazing is done by window companies thats why i suggested you try them.

your last pic is really helpful, you can clearly see the silver stip , which is between 2 panes of glass, so it must be double glazing

Thank you v much

so I'll measure what size I need and then i'll ask for doubled glazed single pane glass(or is it double) and install it, do I have to mention things like safety glass etc. and instead of using putty I want to use glass beading so I can prepaint it and get it perfect because my hand is so shaky would I need to use an adhesive like "no more nails" to put it it on or would I use nails?

Find a local double glazed unit manufacturer Yellow pages most are really helpful (they want your business)

When supply only (diy) the onus is on you to provide all the correct measurements/details:

width x height
overall thickness
Glass type (in your case obscure/safety except the 2 tops)

Good Luck
p.s. if using wooden beads small pins to hold in place not no nails

kevash said:
Find a local double glazed unit manufacturer Yellow pages most are really helpful (they want your business)

When supply only (diy) the onus is on you to provide all the correct measurements/details:

will try. going to phone pilkingtons aswell

kevash said:
Glass type (in your case obscure/safety except the 2 tops)
I will be using the full length glass and will therefore remove those windows so I'll be ordering 4 panes of obscure\safety double glazed

kevash said:
p.s. if using wooden beads small pins to hold in place not no nails
Is that the only way because i have seen glass bead with no pin heads visible

thanks v much
mo

Re: Beading, its a long story involving chemicals/sealants/moisture/dessicant/reaction nuff said :rolleyes:

Much easier with pins, once painted or stained will be virtually invisible, if your really fussy sink pins in and use wood filler ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back