Replacing Velux with larger one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my GGL 304 Velux with a larger one or maybe 2. I have a few points that I'm not sure about hopefully someone can advise?
1. The window is in my upper hallway area (house is a 1 1/2 storey - ie upstairs is in the roof area) and will not be needed as a means of escape. Can I fit non opening windows.
2. The original is far too high - glass starts 1700 above floor, I cant even see out of it. I want to put in a much longer one but the roof has a horizontal cross member at about 1100. Can I cut this out and how do I support afterwards?
3. What height does the Glass have to start? I would like it right dow near feet height but if I use an opening one can I just lock it or maybe guard it?
4. If I make it wider or put in 2 windows, do I have to add in another rafter each side right up to ridgeline? if so how many rafters can I take out? Putting in 2 wide windows next to each other, should I leave middle rafter & do I need to add another here also?

Thanks in advance for any help - would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back