Resourceful young boat building Brit' o'er the pond...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
and his project to resurrect a once elegant craft...
The boaty - Leo

The project, in his words 'I’m on a mission to rebuild a 107-year old English sailing yacht called Tally Ho. Designed by Albert Strange in 1909, she is a well-known and important historic vessel – but after many adventures she was left in a remote port in Oregon to rot for decades, despite some valiant attempts to rescue her. I bought her and moved her to the Olympic Peninsular earlier this year, and am now starting to rebuild her from the keel up. Eventually I hope to sail her back to the UK'
Seems to have a remarkable number of people to call upon for assistance in one guise or another, but is pretty dynamic bloke in reality, tackling some hefty work single handedly.
'Shipshape and Bristol fashion' comes to mind.

The story so far

-0-

Sponsored Links
Its a nice story, pretty crazy idea to cross the Atlantic in that tiny boat though. Sadly the world is full of social media types who think they can fund their way through life with youtube ads paying the way. This is a different story, not some lazy beach bum but a grafter.

A little about our Leo, I was wondering about the 'non-Bristol' accent, there also seems little about the reality of 'making a living' whilst working on the boat - vehicles, tools and time, they cost.

Quote : ''TwoLegged' Post #3410
Nevertheless he is building a cracking series and certainly gets 'stuck in' - When not being Bosun on super yacht Adix.

He has already done the solo Atlantic crossing Verdes to Caribbean in a very small yacht.
No engine, so must be pretty skilled seaman making safe harbour without power.

'Classic Boat readers voted Leo Goolden as their Yachtsman of the Year in the 2016 Classic Boat Awards. Leo restored a Folkboat on his own, before sailing it across the Atlantic short-handed and navigating by sextant, and then winning all his races at the Antigua Classic Regatta. He couldn't be at the Classic Boat Awards, but sent this lovely video message from warmer climes:'

No slouch - for sure !

-0-

He has already done the solo Atlantic crossing Verdes to Caribbean in a very small yacht.
No engine, so must be pretty skilled seaman making safe harbour without power.

The lack of engine would be the least of his problems.. and in most places he'd find plenty of people willing to give him a tow for the pilotage parts of his crossing. This issue is the friggin big weather he'd be facing during the passage part of his crossing and the lack of any help anywhere near him.

But having looked a bit closer, the pictures are deceptive - its a 47' gaff, long keel so is better suited than a lot of fin keel modern boats of a similar size. one of the pictures gave the impression it was a small 27' long keel. Though there might be two boats shown?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Length 25ft 1in (7.6 m)

Folkboat-design.jpg

Sold for £8k 2017

-0-

Last edited:
Back