Restoration Job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've launched myself into the restoration on the internal woodwork (doors, skirting, window surrounds) of an 1880s house - 4 bedrooms, lounge and hallway.

An exploratory look with a hot air gun and sandpaper revaled a few layers of gloss and a layer of sticky varnish/stain and with some sandpaper I was able to take a fine top layer off to reveal the natural wood.

Now for the rest of it!

I'm off to B&Q tomorrow to buy either one of these:

Makita BO4555-2 Palm Sander

DeWalt D26441 Palm Sander

Please can I have some feedback on how difficult and painful the whole stripping back experience is likely to be and whether I'd be better with a half sheet sander.

Cheers Guys,

DZ

Sponsored Links
Thanks!
I'll have a look at the on line shops and refurbishment site.

The colour of the natural wood and mouldings really are beautiful. I'll post some photos of work in progress if anyone is interested.

Hi Gluesniffer, keen to see the pictures sounds like a great job. Are you going for a Shellac Sanding Sealer & Wax finish - it will look even better!

Sponsored Links
Hi Gluesniffer, keen to see the pictures sounds like a great job. Are you going for a Shellac Sanding Sealer & Wax finish - it will look even better!

Photos will be uploaded tonight..
To be honest, I haven't though about the sealant / wax, but I will check out the Shellac...

OK, here's the photos:

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

Great pictures, it only confirms my opinion that two coats of shellac sanding sealer and a coat of wax polish will enhance their appearance while retaining the traditional feel and look.

You probably know this but SSS is designed to be sanded after each coat thereby pushing the shellac into the grain of the wood providing a seal for the wax to go on top of. If you applied wax only thoroughout you would need to apply many coats and the elbow grease required would be intense.

I promise you will not be dissapointed with the final result.

woodfinishes1877

That's really lovely wood. I can feel your pain though cos our house is the same - white gloss over ancient old sticky varnish - I've not plucked up the courage to try and get rid of it yet cos I know it's gonna be a messy job.

Top job though. Post up piccies when you're done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back