Retro-fit heating element to towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a towel radiator which I would like to have heated electrically to keep the bathroom warm and towels dry when the central heating is off.

I have seen that you can buy electric heating elements separately, is it possible to retro-fit these to an existing radiator, or do you have to replace the whole rad unit?

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
The radiator immersion heater kit comes with a chrome T which takes the element through the end and the rad valve on the side.
You'll need to re-work the rad tail and possibly change the valve to make it fit the T. Note that the heater MUST be into the bottom of the side-leg of the rad, NOT through the top. It must ALWAYS be fully immersed in water - not in any air that might collect.

Do not expect much in the way of room-heating from it. It'll be a couple of hundred watts max.

You'll also need to arrange a suitable power supply for a bathroom (Part P, etc.!) with an indicating switch outside the room.

Also remember to turn OFF ONE of the rad valves when the immersion heater is in use, to prevent loss of heat into the rest of the system and, most important, that the heater MUST be turned off before the heating system is drained.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back