right click problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop, windows xp pro media centre, and I have a niggly problem with the right click menu.

If I right click on a file to open or explore or look at properties or whatever, it can take up to 15 seconds to open, same thing if I left click on it to just open it normally.

If I right click on a folder it will open immediately, it only does it on files, strange thing is, once a file has opened ,if I jump immediatley to another file and right click it will open immediately but if I leave it a couple of seconds before trying it will take the usual 15 seconds or so.

One suggestion was that it could be a particular program that I have installed in the past which puts an option in the right click menu and is causing a problem.

Also one guy suggested it was my norton anti-virus causing the problem and told me to change to AVG which I was about to do anyway but it made no difference.

Any ideas will be welcome. Thanks. Chris

Sponsored Links
Yes, I tried this program a while ago and it didn't do the trick but it is very time consuming and easy to miss one out while checking them so I think I will give it another go and hope for the best,
thanks for the link :)

Sponsored Links
If your context menu is slow to open then you need to change the MenuShowDelay setting.
In RegEdit go to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop and find the MenuShowDelay value.
If it does not exist create a new string value and name it MenuShowDelay. The default setting is "400" lower it, or try setting it to "200"

Be careful when editing the registry!!

Back