Rip up sub-base or screed over it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to use screed/pointing material as the SURFACE of a patio?

I removed the broken crazy paving from our 6 m x 2 m patio in preparation to lay 400mm x 400mm slabs. I thought that all of the sub-surface was friable (the first bit I uncovered broke up easily). But it has turned out to be solid as a rock, and 150mm thick over 90% of the area.

Aside from the fact that it is going to be a real job to rip this sub-base up, the area includes two rectangular drain covers (one of which is at a 45 degree angle to the house, and seems to be fused to the sub-base) that are going to be difficult to incorporate into the slab layout. So, screeding the existing base with the same material would solve a lot of problems.

The patio will only have a table and chair set, and a few pot plants on it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You can use screed i.e 4:1 (grit sand:cement) but its not really hard enough and will gradually scratch and gouge. Concrete would be more suitable but would need to be a minimum of 75mm thick.

r896neo,

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I'll have to hire a demolition hammer to break up the old sub- base.

Do you know how deep the drain covers are likely to go? I'm worried about using a breaker around them.

Sponsored Links
depends on the type of cover, lift them first to check for shallow pipes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back