Rockwool fire stop wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have looked at Rockwool's firePro to install a fire stop divide myself in the roof void of my terrace house. I am not sure if the rafters would support the extra weight though.

- The roof span is approx 8.5m with a max height in the middle of 3m. I have worked out that I will need a double thickness of 60mm rockwool which works out at 12kg/m2 = approx 153kg. Rafters are made out of 2 x 4. The roof structure also has two larger pieces of timber (I think they are called purlins) that run the length of our house and into next door that must provide support to the rafters.

would these rafters be OK to hang the stuff off, would I need to strengthen them and if so how or would it be easier to build a stud wall on top of the existing partition wall and make the partition out of fire resistant plasterboard so the load is bearing down rather than hanging off the roof?

any help or advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back