Rodding access to existing rainwater downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have a blocked downpipe and any advice on how to get at it would be appreciated. Water is backing the existing cast iron downpipe and flooding out the connections half way up and around the base. I have tried jetting down from the very top (~5m up) and rodding it but with on luck, just lots of silty water disturbed and I'm reluctant to keep hammering away without better access and a better idea of what's going on.
Looking at the angles I suspect an adjacent 68mm black plastic pipe joins up near the blockage and I would like to try rodding or push a camera down this run but there is no access. Can anyone suggest how to cut this in with something like an access saddle - if they come in such a size? I'd cut the pipe but I can't move it because it's constrained by the top gutter and the concrete it is bedded in.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 20200712_195940.jpg
    20200712_195940.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 493
  • 20200712_195935.jpg
    20200712_195935.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 742
  • 20200712_195929.jpg
    20200712_195929.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 457
Sponsored Links
Have you used the rods to tell you where the blockage is?

What's that plastic cover with ivy growing out of it ? Is that not a rodding point?

Hi,

The plastic cover is a rodding point, but I don't know if they're related. I've cleaned it out but can see which way it goes. Will get the water out and have another look.
Rods from the top of the white RWP suggest it might be below ground level but I hit both metal and compacted material when rodding. That might be the issue but at our last house some chancer ran the surface water into mud which had to be fixed. O b doubt that has happen here but I don't want to damage anything in a tricky apot to access.

Thanks for your help. Will check later today if possible and let you know. Cheers

The black pipe looks like pvc, have you tried taking the angled elbow apart and seeing what’s happening there?

Sponsored Links
Hi Chris,

I'd like to but I've not been brave enough yet as they're both fixed and I'd rather not unscrew things from the wall repeatedly. That said there's probably enough flex in the pipes so I'll take a look. Cheers.

That said there's probably enough flex in the pipes so I'll take a look.

There’s usually a bit of play (flex as you call it) in them, so just give it a try, pull the upper one first. Judging by the photos it looks like there’s plenty of play in them. ;)

If rodding from the plastic pipe doesn't give you results, jetwash the blocked cast iron pipe from the top.
With a bit of luck enough water should dislodge the blockage.
Be prepared to get wet and dirty.

Haha - thank you. I tried that yesterday and it sent a lot of fine mud out the base and sides of the cast iron pipe joints. I stopped as I'd like to know for sure I'm jetting a blockage not undermining my foundations! Will persevere in a day or so and report back. Thanks again

Thanks for all your posts. I've taken both the cast iron and now the pvc off the wall. Hoovered out lots of rubbish, then discovered a split in the pvc and started digging...
There's still more rubbish blocking the pipe, it's clearly been going through the soil for years. I now know the black pvc and cast iron pipes join before heading away from the house and going into the vertical PVC (round cap) before heading back under the house. I still need more time to clear the branch to the PVC but at least I know that runs to the street just about ok.

Any recommendations on DIY kit to get round a 90 degree bend to help shift the rubbish? I could jet again but I'm wary of damaging the cast iron - as other sites have suggested. Also can I try to remove scale build up myself or best get a pro in?
Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20200817_160634.jpg
    20200817_160634.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 20200817_161219.jpg
    20200817_161219.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 277

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back