Roller Garage Door Corrosion Problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Double gargage and had a Insulated Aluminium roller door fitted 3 years ago and is now very badly corroded and causing the paint to flake off everywhere.

It was only guaranteed for 2 years so cant do anything about the warranty so I am going to have to replace the slats/curtain.

I live quite near the sea (200m) so really need something that would not corrode. I know you can get UPVC roller doors but I have been told these break very easily especially if its a wide expanse like my 4.3m double garage.

I cant have a Up and Over door as I do not have the height.

Any ideas anyone??????

Sponsored Links
By corrosion do you mean it has developed holes in the aluminium or has it got a dull, flat finish on the exposed areas?

If it is just mildly corroded with a few pit marks/holes these could possibly be repaired with car body filler and rubbed down smooth. Then apply a sealer to prevent moisture ingress.

As you live near the sea there will be a lot of salts in the air. It may be possible to give the whole door a few coats of clear Yacht varnish and then a light rub down with fine glass paper before painting with a suitable paint finish such as an enamel based paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back