Roof Strut Slipped Out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have just purchased a first house and have been investigating the loft, with a view to creating some storage space up there.

While clearing out the crap left up there by the previous owner, I have spotted that one of the struts appears to have come out of it's intended position in the purlin. It was held in with two nails that are now a little bent, but it does sort of block access to the loft via the hatch, so could have been knocked out by accident by the previous owner.

The house is semi-detached so has a hipped roof, there are three struts (one on each side), and the strut that has detached is on the side opposite the neighbor.

Looking at the strut and the purlin, these no longer marry up, which leads me to suspect that the purlin has sagged without the support of the strut.

Is this something I need to be dealing with urgently?

I had a structural survey done on the house prior to purchase, which came back with no reported issues regarding the roof. Does anyone know if I should now be looking at getting the surveyor to cover the cost of repair?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I doubt you will be able move the purlin back onto that notch so I would cut the notch to were it meets the purlin now and fix it back to the purlin with a couple of 4" screws.

Looks like its nailed in place so taking it out to adjust may allow more sag. Is there room to leave it and add another next to it which can be joined to the original? Either that or can you get a saw in to extend the notch but leave the nail intact?

Sorry If the pictures don't show it, but it is currently completely detached. I can wobble it about, so it is not providing any support.

Thanks for the suggestion catlad, will have a look at cutting it back to re sit it.

Does anyone know if I should now be looking at getting the surveyor to cover the cost of repair?

The surveyor should have spotted that, but why go to the trouble of holding him liable.
Annoying though it is, you would have to prove that it was structurally unsound,
and that would be difficult and expensive.
It doesn't look as though it would be tricky to fix yourself. Why not do that and then forget about it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back