Rotten joist in bathroom under showerbath.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of extending and renovating my house. Whilst stripping the main bathroom, the builder removed what used to be the shower bath. I noticed some rotten timbers and joist beneath. I expressed concern about this to him, and he assured me that he would simply replace the damaged bits then move on. I have asked him to replace all the floorboards instead, since he is placing new floorboards in the extended area of said bathroom. He has now placed a new (greenwood) joist in the floor directly against the old rotten one. Apparently, when asked if it was best to remove it, he stated that this isn't necessary. Am I just panicking unecessarily or should he have removed part of the old joist before placing the new one? :confused: Any advice...?

Sponsored Links
Whilist wet rot won't be a problem if the moisture is removed I'd have been more than inclined to remove what is left of that joist, it wouldn't be much of a job looking at it.It is general practice in historic buildings not to treat anymore, when I started we'd treat both timber and masonary which to many of us is the sensible way to go. I've put back timber that has been absolutey riddled with rot or beetle :rolleyes: still not my house ;)

Thanks Ladylola. Much appreciated. I have tried pulling out bits of wood from the remaining joist and met some resistance. I also see no sign of mould or fungal growth. Hope Ican take it therefore that the wood is not suffering from dry rot. No obvious sign of beetles / insects either. I will double check with my builder.

take out all that damaged joist, cut back to bearing masonry. Dont leave any fungus damaged material. Clear up all that debris.

Dry rot without a water supply will lie dormant ( although never leave it in place) but the fungi in wet rot will infect all surrounding wood. Take it out mate.

Sponsored Links
Reaction of the Building Inspector whom I called back to the property following various concerns: :confused: :eek: :eek: !! Got to be replaced!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back