Router Table - Buy or Build ?

I see Rutlands do the Jessem router lift.
Over 300 quid though.

Anyone ever consider a spindle moulder instead with the router bit collet adaptor?

Sponsored Links
have checked the fence and it is indeed about 1 mm out over the whole length using a 1m metal ruler
this is in the form off rocking at the center so if you transfer your hands from one fence to the other you would move the work off the cutter by around 1/100 of a millimeter
now easy solution pad out one off the outer fence surface 1mm from the casting giving a dead flat surface

Yes its an easy fix but the point is you shouldn't have to.

I wonder if the Advert said your fence may be up to 3mm out of accuracy and you will have to fix it yourself If you would still have been prepared to spend the same money on it..I suspect not

I do get why people buy them , Lack of time or inclination to build their own or they simply cant be Assed to do so etc. but for folks that ask should they buy or build then for me I will always advise build.

1. You make it a size that suits you Table mounted or free standing
2. You can make it as fancy or as basic as you need
3. you can put the dust extraction that you use at home wherever you want

At the end of the day you will have a table that suits you and your methods better that an off the shelf one that needs fettling before it can be used

I built my own out of an MDF top with a 3mm steel plate inlet in flat with the top rthat the router screws into from underneath, and old kitchen chopping block for aback and mdf sides...i use a trend TK11 router and it works very well..only about 50cm, by 30 cm top, but big enough for what i need (needed to round over about 60 odd cot spindles...)

The router comes with the inverted adjuster to wind up the base and even have nice little increments on it.

The fence is a peice of 2" square walnut held on with two G-cramps and the're nto a T slot in site. works very well!

Total cost was £0 - all the bits were lying around...and the only accessories I bought was a trend depth guage, which is very good.

The only thing with making your own is that often you have to use one for a while to learn what features you need...so for me a simple oen worked perfectly...If I ever need a more complex one I now have alist of must haves and nice to haves...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back