Running the pipes down the wall - whats the best practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just looking to run my pipes into the new extension and just need some advice. My plan was to come across the top and down either side of the window to eventually sit the rad under the window. The problem Im having is seeing how I can run the pipes down the wall as the roof truss is sitting just inside the internal wall (as in the picture).

Obviously I cant cut through the truss but would you chase behind the truss and bring the pipe down either side of the window (image 1) or bring the pipe down on the side wall by taking a small section of the wall plate out and then chase the pipes across to the required place running horizontally to the location under the window (image 2)

Thanks!

Attachments

• This One.jpg
    This One.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 84
  • This One Also.jpg
    This One Also.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
This One Also_edit_1874843655901417.jpg

The joist I've marked in orange doesn't appear to be flush to the gable, can you not run the pipes along to the gable then behind that joist and down the wall to where you want them?

Hi
Yeah mate it is flush. Chased the wall and behind the joist so should be fine will make sure to wrap the copper so its not touching the wall.

Thanks all...!

I'd have run them under the floor but presumably that's no longer possible?
Did you mean run it down the wall past (as in the image) and then come across over the joists (under what will be the floor boards) and up? As Im starting to think this might be a better way to do it.

Ideally you'd pick up the 22mm feeds in the existing ground floor of the house, run them under floor level to wherever your rads are going and pop them up there. Pipe runs on the surface down a wall in a habitable room are a massive design fail in a new domestic build or an extension

The heating system design in the house doesn't really lend itself to extending easily which is a pita. The 22mm comes from the boiler to the kitchen and then youve got theses microbore branches coming out the end for both flow and return.

Getting anywhere near the extension from here is extremely difficult because of the above and the rsj's coming across the old to new extension. I think what I'll end up doing is using that chase Ive put in drop both flow and return (in 15mm copper) down past the joists notch in the joists and up to the rad.

Again what makes this job so tricky is above the window is a lintel so if I drop down either side of that Im still chasing horizontally to bring the pipes across which defeats the object.

Hi guys

Would you advise against a strip of dpc behind the pipes? I know you can wrap them in tape but thought dpc as an extra might be a good idea?

Thanks

I'm not a huge fan of chasing pipes into the wall. The only time I've done it I effectively created a service duct (covered the chase in 3mm ply) rather than bury the pipes. Bonus for future occupiers- if you tap that bit of wall it sounds hollow, mebbe don't drill in that bit :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back