Rust remover, brand/type?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large site box that's in need of a clean up. Lots of rust and the surface is pitted so I'd have to take loads of metal off with the grinder before I'm down to a bare finish. What's a decent chemical rust remover for treating this before I give it a coat of red ox.

Might also get used for small rust patches on the motor.

Sponsored Links
If you intend to repaint it afterwards, Kurust is good. It leaves a blue-black surface ready for painting.

You should however brush off thick or loose rust first, otherwise you will just be painting the top of the rust layer. A wire brush head in an electric drill will do (dusty work)

If you want a smooth, polished surface, including rusty chrome, Jenolite and wire wool will clean it off. It is a simple liquid acid (wear gloves and goggles, and wash exposed skin)

Despite what the chemical makers say, nothing short of a blast furnace turns rust into steel.

Kurust looks good but the largest size is 250ml which I don't think will be enough (and I'm too tight to buy two)

500ml in the Jenolite bottle looks fair enough though, what's the off the shelf price for this stuff? They definitely don't sell it in Halfords, which is about the only place I'd think to look.

sorry don't remember. A bottle lasts a long time.

You usually find them both in motorists's toyshops and hardware shops. These two are the UK brand leaders so should be widely available.

If you want to paint it, I would still advise Kurust. What's left over will keep (as long as you don't contaminate it by dipping your brush in the tub - pour it into a small plastic or glass container for use and throw away what's left.

Sponsored Links
Deluks - have got a power-washer? Some of these came with extras like sandblasting attachments.

Most rust removers use phosphoric acid as the active ingredient; phosphoric acid is also readily available in bottles labelled Pepsi, Coca Cola, etc.

Try wire brushing the rust off the box and dousing it in some unbranded cola.

If you haven't already done it, you can use something like this It goes directly onto the rust. It's drying time is long, but it's worth the wait. It does need a top coat to protect it from UV.

Here is another treatment, but doesn't have the strength of epoxy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back