Sadolin external paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am going to paint large detached house with approximately 50sqm of weather board. Was going to use Sadolin Rosewood to match existing colour until I saw the price and Sadolin Walnut Superdec on the large frames surrounding the front door, as per existing. Can anybody recommend an external paint that is much much cheaper that will match these colours. Will there be much preparation required ?
Thanks in advance for any help and advice given.

Sponsored Links
for weatherboard, I much prefer a water-based water-repellent woodstain like you use for sheds and fences. It is cheap, quick and easy to apply, and very easy to recoat. You can get a more silky finish buy applying several coats. The wood must be either sawn, or, if planed, let it weather to roughen the surface (it does not stick to shiny wood)

However I have not been able to match colours as it usually just comes in a small variety of colours including dark and light browns. I use a dark brown to contrast with stained red hardwood.

View media item 4848
Most other woodstains perform badly in exposed timbers, Sadolin goes very matt and rubs off a bit.

You might consider linseed oil. I have used that after tinting the wood with Colron. It takes quite a few coats when you start though, spread over a couple of weeks as you apply each coat after the previous one has soaked in. I use it on doorsills and trim.

Many thanks for speedy reply. I appreciate the advice on Linseed oil but for too many reasons, I do not have the time for this.
Property currently has peeling paint on the door and window frames on the sunnier side that has a matt finish and this finish nees to remain the same. What external paint would you recommend to achieve the same sort of finish that is cheaper than Sadolin.
The weather boards are sawn and currently have a matt finish which I would like to keep that way, what sort of stain would you recommend to keep this in a matt finish that is a reasonable price?

For the window/door frames I would go for a microporous breathing gloss (colour) paint, not a stain. Use the same brand of primer, undercoat and gloss. Sand and prepare the suface thouroughly and use a flexible caulk not a hard filler which will crack. You might use a dark brown to tone with stained woodwork, but stains are not as hard wearing.

i have only used Sadolin (wouldn't recommend), Dulux Woodsheen on the hardwood front door (or some such name, half-gloss finish, does not withstand weather for long, wouldn't recommend for cladding), linseed oil, and shed-and-fence (per my pic).

For the cladding, of these, I would have gone for shed and fence as it is cheap, easy and quick. But you will not match the colour. A couple of coats on a rough surface will not be glossy. You only get a silky finish if you apply several coats and build up a layer of wax.

Someone else will probably be along in a minute with another suggestion. I am just a householder.

Sponsored Links
have you priced up Johnstones exterior rosewood stain? i have used this quite a bit through work but have to admit i have never bought any. it seems like a decent quality stain and i have not had any complaints when i have used it. i prefer dulux weathershield stain but i am aware that it is quite expensive.
hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back