Sagging wooden (farm) Gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wooden farm gate in my drive is sagging a little. The gate is exactly the same as this one:

http://www.randmfencing.co.uk/Uploads/Catalogue/Product/l/r-m-wooden-farm-gate-35.JPG

(same type of latch too).

It's only become apparently today as it now needs to be liften very slightly so that the metal latch slides over the horizontal bracket before engaging and locking.

Is there anything that I can do to put it back the way it was OR to prevent any further sagging? Obviously it's a big gate, heavy too. Must be about 10 years old.

Note: I'm no woodworker (but can turn my hand to most things), so please don't use any 'technical' woodworking terms or without explaining them fully. :)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The diagonal members are there to prevent sagging.

May be possible to jack the fence up straight (or over-correct), put more screw fixings into the diagonals, it might be that the current fixings and wood has all loosened up allowing sag.

See how that works, maybe install another diagonal or two.

Do you have a level drive, you may be able to attach a sprung wheel designed to take the weight off.
You could move top hinge back slightly to redress the droop.

Might be the post that has leaned.

Some hangers are adjustable also.

Sponsored Links
The diagonal members are there to prevent sagging.

May be possible to jack the fence up straight (or over-correct), put more screw fixings into the diagonals, it might be that the current fixings and wood has all loosened up allowing sag.

See how that works, maybe install another diagonal or two.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Given the photo that I linked to, where exactly would you put the extra screws once the gate is jacked up? Also, how many screws per location?

Also, if I was to add another diagonal or two (if I can find any suitable wood lying around) where would I locate them?

Think I need a diagram. :)

Do you have a level drive, you may be able to attach a sprung wheel designed to take the weight off.
You could move top hinge back slightly to redress the droop.

Sadly the drive isn't that level.

A good idea re the hinge though, thanks.

The screws would go where the diagonals are attached to the horizontals and verticles, as many as you want but 15mm from edges.

Depending on the fence, you could just mirror the diagionals onto both faces.

Others suggestion of adjusting the hinges/post might be easier.

Thanks very much. I'll take a closer look today, first at the hinges (there's no chance of me moving the posts as they are cemented in place). If no luck there will try jacking it up and adding screws.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back