Sand and Cement, Lime Mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently purchased an early 1900s 2 bed house. The house is semi-detached, of red brick construction with lime mortar, cavity walls and suspended timber floor, and hasn't been lived in for about a year.

Aside from a fair bit of woodworm, wet rot, some damp and some minor structural issues, we discovered early on that pretty much all of the plaster (lime and horsehair) in the house is blown. The plaster's now mostly off, and I'm wondering if I've committed a massive faux pas by letting the plasterer sand and cement 2 of our rooms at the front of the house.

Apologies for my ignorance; the internet seems to focus on has responses focussed on why you shouldn't use cement as external render (makes sense..), to why you shouldn't use modern paints and wall paper on internal walls (seems a little extreme..).

The 2 rooms in question are about 11x16ft, and each have 1 external wall (cavity), and 1 party wall (solid brick) - the other 2 walls are internal. The plasterer used cement and plastering sand and included some waterproofer in the mix. There's no render on the outside of the house. I've remedied my damp problems - these were due to a garden border being build above the damp proof course, together with leaking from the room and windows.

From what I've been reading, I understand why sand and cement isn't compatible will lime render house construction. However, I'm wondering as to the extent of the problem (if any..?) I may have created? I intend on plasterboarding and skimming the remaining rooms..

Any advice/ opinions very welcome. This being my first house, it's a bit of a baptism of fire!

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back