Sand/Cement Scratch and Multi-Coat Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

I’d be grateful if someone could just advise on the following in case I’ve missed anything. Sorry for the size of this but I’ve tried to be specific with the questions

I’ve been following the advice given by roughcaster and others and would be really grateful if someone could take a look and help with the questions I have (marked up as Q below).

I took some advice from a local jobber to help me with some plastering and he suggested hardwall with multi-finish – I paid the guy for some materials - opps - I’ve since had it advised on here that it’s better to use cement render and multicoat as my house is solid brick wall also with damp. The downside is that I need to save money as I’m not able to get my money back on the materials that he purchased so I’m going to try a small wall (under stairs room myself, on the basis if it goes badly wrong it won’t be the end of the world).

Given the speed I work I’ve allowed time to let it dry so I’m not rushing the job and allows me to work at my own pace

(1) I’ve been given a set of trowels as an early birthday present! ) so I’m hoping they will suffice. Q I’ve read that I need to wear the trowels a bit to avoid them cutting in, is rubbing the edge vigorously against a brick wall any help?

(2) Add stop beads (Q are metal or plastic better using dabs of render) to give me smaller isolated bits to work with and make it easier

(3) Clean down walls to old brick (in the process of doing this)
a. Q One wall is rough brick should I paint this with a PVA mix
b. Q One wall is smooth brick that I’ve scraped paint off, should I paint this with a PVA mix

(4) Mix up scratch coat 1:4 cement, plastering sand with added plasticiser / water proofer (Q can I over mix this?)

(5) Using a straight edge skim off to get level approx 6-9mm coat (Q what’s the min and max this should be?)

(6) Scratch the surface to provide the key for the multi-finish

(7) Leave to dry (it will probably be left a week or more and the house is quite cold as the heating is broken!)

(8) Wet the scratch coat if it’s dry with some more watered down plasticiser / Water proofer (Q, is this a little spray misting or a drenching?)

(9) Mix up some multi coat and apply the first coat (Q do I need to use a straight edge on this, Q do I add more plasticiser and water proofer in it) put approx 3mm on (Q What’s the max and min & can I over mix this).

(10) Wait for this to start going off (Q how do I tell that), even out if needed and then leave this to harden.

(11) When this is dry mix up a final top coat of multicoat (Q do I need plasticiser / water proofer ?) Apply as 3mm (Q What’s the max and min) again and smooth to a good finish as it goes off. (Q do I need to wet the first coat of multifinish as in (8) above.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Sponsored Links
don't attempt anything until the damps sorted,
and if you want to wear your trowels in a bit use an oil stone.
How much work are you talking about here? a diyer may get a reasonable result patching but to undertake float & set on a big scale sounds a recipe for disaster especially someone like yourself who has no experience

i agree with setve here, we could go through all those questions answering them for you but the chances of....and dnt take this the wrong way the chances of you getting a good finish at the end is very slim. as it sounds like you have absolutly no experience or knowledge of the trade.
again please dnt take this the wrong way im just asking you to think again bout what your next move is.

Hi take your comments on board but I'm between a rock and hard place now so would really appreciate you going through it. I've decided not to tackle any whole walls just bits,

I have sorted the damp out, but given it's an old house there is likely to be damp in the walls for years to come and I don't want any gyp based stuff pulling the damp and salts out of the wall.

I only have to do a small sections myself (not whole walls), well, enough under the stairs to mount other appiances onto, and a section in the kitchen to mount the boiler onto but I want to get it as good as possible,

I'm not looking for a perfect job hence I'm only doing the bits that won't really be visible to anyone, I may attemt to cover over the old fireplaces but that's only two metres square.

I've been able to install steels and concrete lintels and sister up all the joists in the main room so I think as long as I have the right info to start with with I can have a good go.

After having a certified sparky that wasn't certified and having a guy that took money for material assuring me that gypsum was the way to go in terms of hardwall I came on here and found out difference I'm know a bit short. So I just need to do a few urgent bits that means I can get heating and electric back in the place so I can actually sleep at night without freezing while and then get someone into help when funds are better. I tried to skirt the issue but there we are warts and all,

Would appreciate your comments on the

Sponsored Links
Hi take your comments on board but I'm between a rock and hard place now so would really appreciate you going through it. I've decided not to tackle any whole walls just bits,

I have sorted the damp out, but given it's an old house there is likely to be damp in the walls for years to come and I don't want any gyp based stuff pulling the damp and salts out of the wall.

I only have to do a small sections myself (not whole walls), well, enough under the stairs to mount other appiances onto, and a section in the kitchen to mount the boiler onto but I want to get it as good as possible,

I'm not looking for a perfect job hence I'm only doing the bits that won't really be visible to anyone, I may attemt to cover over the old fireplaces but that's only two metres square.

I've been able to install steels and concrete lintels and sister up all the joists in the main room so I think as long as I have the right info to start with with I can have a good go.

After having a certified sparky that wasn't certified and having a guy that took money for material assuring me that gypsum was the way to go in terms of hardwall I came on here and found out difference I'm know a bit short. So I just need to do a few urgent bits that means I can get heating and electric back in the place so I can actually sleep at night without freezing while and then get someone into help when funds are better. I tried to skirt the issue but there we are warts and all,

Would appreciate your comments on the
im in hampshire where abouts are you ? if your not to far ill try and help out

just tried to PM you my address but I don't think your profile accepts messages ? can you ping me or something please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back