Sand/de-nib between coats of on exterior woodwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am currently doing up my external wooden windows. I have used Zinsser Bullseye 123 as the primer and will be using Eico Alterior Eggshell for the topcoats:

http://eico.co.uk/products/eico-alterior-eggshell-1l/

Should I lightly sand / de-nib the primer before painting the first topcoat? And should I sand/de-nib between topcoats?

Aside form general advise on that, what would be very helpful to know is what purpose the sanding/de-nibbing serves? Is it purely to get a better and smoother finish? Or does it make for a longer lasting job? In other words, is it purely aesthetics or does it serve practical purposes too?

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
De-nibbing is always best for a professional finish. It does somewhat help coats adhere, but fresh paint adheres to itself relatively well anyway. Obnce a coat has fully cured (several days for water based, several weeks for oils) then sanding to improve adhesion may be required.
I use around 240-300 grit between primer and first coat, then a very fine (400-600 grit) wet and dry paper (silicone carbide) before the final coat.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. I'm not so worried about a smooth finish, I just want the paint job to last as long as possible. Unfortunately it will be a bit more than a few days between coats of topcoat, so maybe I will give a light sand. But if I can get away without a de-nib then without affecting the performance then that's what I'll do.... Hmmmm.....

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back