Saturday Morning Teaser...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning All!

A little Saturday morning teaser for you all. I'm not having any work done but I live in an older house and am intrigued as to how the central heating pipe system connects and is laid out. I've attached a diagram. The house was built in 1916 and from what I can see from the electrics, a lot was done pre-regulations so doesn't necessarily follow an approved plan.

So in my diagram, the solid blue and red lines are the pipes I know and illustrate whether they're going into the ceiling, floor or through a wall. The dotted lines I'm guessing. The question is, can central heating systems have spurs as I thought they had to be a complete flowing ring and also I can't see how the bathroom and kitchen connect to everything else, any ideas?

The grey bars at the bottom of the kitchen and hall mean concrete floor, the rest are wood. The bathroom and kitchen though on separate floors are 8" or so lower than the other floors so there is a step.

Bedrrom 2 has no radiator for some reason, because it was cheaper or because it was difficult I don't know? But for this reason, I'm assuming that Bedroom 1 doesn't go through to the bathroom.

It's a head scratcher!

Attachments

• Saturday Teaser.jpg
    Saturday Teaser.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
Radiators should always be connected in parallel, to use an electrical parlance, be it a 1 pipe system or 2 pipe system. If any are connected in series then it's typically been an inexperienced fitter/diy'er or there's a real specific reason.

If it's a 2 pipe system then as long as one side of the rad is connected to the main flow pipe and the other is connected to the main return pipe then in essence they are all 'spurs', if you again use (edit) another electrical parlance.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob,

Yes that makes sense. Downstairs I can see that it's a two pipe system as it's all surface mounted but upstairs it's a bit trickier as all pipes go into the floor so I can't really tell without ripping floors up :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back