Schedule of Works - Should I???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have recently been granted planning permissions and building regs have been submitted this week for a 2 storey side extension.

The project will add about 40sqm to the existing property and will include an integral garage with bathroom and en-suite above. The existing dining room and kitchen at the back of the house will be knocked through to create an open plan kitchen/diner/family room that will be the width of the property and a downstairs cloakroom will also be added.

We have 6 builders in mind that we would like to quote for the project but my question is, would it be worthwhile drafting a schedule of works for this project?

I very much like the idea of being able to obtain a fixed quote for the project but at this stage I have no idea what we want in respects to some of the finer details, sockets, light fittings etc.

One thing I am very keen on is tying down the payment stages and completion dates.

Should I therefore be looking to draft a schedule of work or will this be taken care of by the builders?

This is my first project and for the money I will be spending I want to make sure that everything is right even if it means having to pay out on items like this upfront.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I prefer to use a schedule of works/specification.

It spells out in much greater detail the scope of works and materials and allows for much easier direct comparison between quotes.

However, the vast majority of my clients just use the detailed Building Regulations drawings for domestic extensions. Although the level of detail on the drawings will determine the accuracy and quality of the quotes you receive. Some I see are just generic cut and paste jobs that barely cover the most basic information to secure a conditional approval.

It is not uncommon to have outstanding details such as electrical fittings and final cable run locations which can be covered by a simple provisional sum so at least all the builders are on a level playing field.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back