Scratch cost on masonry & mortar wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just need to clarify what exactly I need; I'm scratch coating the stone & mortar walls in my house before I dot & dab the walls, I was thinking of coating the walls with PVA (1 coat) then a 3:1 mix of sand cement & plastesiser and waterproofer would building sand be suffice for this? And would it be better to add lime? As I'm going to dot & dab over I was thinking the lime might be pointless... So if some one clarify the above it would be great...
:D

Sponsored Links
Just need to clarify what exactly I need; I'm scratch coating the stone & mortar walls in my house before I dot & dab the walls, I was thinking of coating the walls with PVA (1 coat) then a 3:1 mix of sand cement & plastesiser and waterproofer would building sand be suffice for this? And would it be better to add lime? As I'm going to dot & dab over I was thinking the lime might be pointless... So if some one clarify the above it would be great...
:D
Why do you need a scratch coat if you are dotting and dabbing?

Sponsored Links
I would prefer that but the walls are are about 3inch out of plumb over 2.4mtr one is even 9inch lol, thus it easy & quicker to do, so I was thinking scratch and dab that way everything is sealed, and I should have better addison as well, the one which is 9inch out I might batten the bottom and dab the top, (if possible)

Sounds like your in territory where you should be battening the walls or building a stud as dot and dab can't sort everyhing mate.

I am thinking about it but I want to scratch everything to seal the walls up first, thus I need clarification on the type of Sand, weather or not is benifit from lime e.t.c

If its your personal preference then go for it - scratch it with a 4:1 sand and cement mix with waterproofer - but as the boys say, dabbing aint never gonna solve 3-9 inch's.

YOu won't really get away with battening the bottom and dabbing the top - you'd be better off studding the wall out as tight as you can to the hardest point, this will leave you with less stress, mess and nice flat wall, also you could bang a bit of celotex in there as well....

The wall which is 9" out I will batten with 2x2 the rest of the walls are out by 2-3 inch so these I will try to level out a bit with the scratch then dab, would building sand be ok for that? Should I forget about the lime as I'm only doing the scratch for better Addison and to seal the mortar..

Thanks for the help everyone :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back