Screwing slates to battens

I wrote "Screwing down slates is rarely done except for very particular circumstances" and "I've only used screws for particular purposes".

AAMOI: I've never "worked on a roof with thin rafters and a delicate plaster ceiling".
But my above quotes indicate that I would use screws if the site situation called for them.

So what the purpose of your question is I dont know?

Sponsored Links
I think that’s a very fair point…

The chances of making my loft air tight, must be next to non existent !

I’m sure that things will improve, wrt to drafts, when the slates are all positioned correctly – but simply, the building has too many imperfections, for there to be no air flow.

Provided he can work out the placement of the eave slates – and has calculated the headlap correctly, I’m now optimistic that it all will work out OK !! (I’m a glass half full kind of guy :))
I believe the formula for working out the length of eave slates is gauge+headlap , if the length of slate is 24" and the headlap is 4",so length of slate minus headlap =20"÷2=10" which is gauge for battens so gauge10"+headlap4" =14" for eaves slate.
I think the eave slates fall 2" into the gutter.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back