Sealey Bench Grinder Auto braking not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lovely old SEALEY 150mm Model RM53 Bench grinder has developed a problem insomuch as it wont slow down as it should.

Thinking prob centrifugal in reveres braking, I phoned Sealey for the parts and apparently its built into the motor.

Hmm? Is this the DC voltage braking I learned once about I wonder (rectifier??) or something else.

Has anyone had success with remedying this issue of do I have to suffer a free spinning grindstone from hereon in?

Thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
The usual method of breaking is to short out the motor with a low impednace resistor when power is removed. The rotating motor then acts like a generator converting the energy of rotation into electrical energy which is absorbed by the resistor.

The exact way the resistor is connected to the motor when power is removed varies from machine to machine. In some machines the resistor is switched in by the ON_OFF switch being in the OFF position. Some machines use a relay and some use an electronic circuit. Other methods are available.

The usual method of breaking is to short out the motor with a low impednace resistor when power is removed. The rotating motor then acts like a generator converting the energy of rotation into electrical energy which is absorbed by the resistor.

The exact way the resistor is connected to the motor when power is removed varies from machine to machine. In some machines the resistor is switched in by the ON_OFF switch being in the OFF position. Some machines use a relay and some use an electronic circuit. Other methods are available.

Thanks Bernard.

The failure to brake happened quite slowly - not all of a sudden.
It worsened over time so would that happen if it were a resistor doing the braking?
If that isn't the culprit how easy would it be to wire in a resistor for that purpose?

The failure to brake happened quite slowly - not all of a sudden.

Which means it very un-likely to be a failed resistor. I would not be able to give advice without knowiing exactly how the braking action is activated. There is also the safety aspects if it is modified in any way and an accident results.

Sponsored Links
Which means it very un-likely to be a failed resistor. I would not be able to give advice without knowiing exactly how the braking action is activated. There is also the safety aspects if it is modified in any way and an accident results.

I understand.

Might consider a strip and peek to see what that tells me.

Thanks for tat useful info, anyhow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back