Sealing a damp cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping anyone can help advise on our damp cellar.

We own a very old stone cottage, that was converted around 100 years ago from a pub to a house. It has a cellar under about a quarter of the living room with unsealed/un-insulated/un-ventilated suspended timber floor above. The rest of the room is un-insulated concrete.

We are close to starting some other building work, and as part of this we are going to have low profile UFH throughout the ground floor. My concern, which isn't shared by any of the builders that came to quote nor the UFH company is whether it is sensible to install over the top of the cellar.

Their view was that sealing from the room would improve conditions, or in some cases just "shrug". My fear is that the timbers slowly rot and we have to pull up the expensive new floor in a few years time.

Bought a moisture meter yesterday, and get readings of 25-30% on most of the floor timbers (which look relatively new). One older timber resting on the ground/wall hit 50% and is definitely in need of replacement.

I see no likely way to ventilate the cellar. Its only external wall would be under the neighbour's driveway as the house is built along its boundary. I suspect at one point a coal shoot has been blocked up there.

I guess my options are:
- abort, maintain situation of cellar ventilating into room and easy future replacement of timbers.
- go ahead on the advice that sealing from the lounge will make it better.
- fill in the cellar - its maybe 3x2x2m
- dig up floor in lounge to allow a 3m duct to reach the cellar (i guess would need 2, for intake and exhaust).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
nosaj87, good evening.

Sounds as if the UFH installers are only interested in one thing, the "profit from the Install" ?

OK a bit off the wall, but there are various proprietary off the shelf items that are a bit like a swan neck to allow air to enter a basement area from a higher level than the cellar ceiling, these things are intended to be positioned in "modern" brick new builds. but with a wee bit of ingenuity such an install could be a possibility? from your neighbours drive??

Ken

I’d go with a extractor. Might be abit noisy mind.

If the humidity levels are high in the basement I’m not sure if added heat would be a good thing especially for the floor joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back