Sewable carpet repair tape? Any suggestions? Hessian?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I need to find a carpet repair tape to go behind a tear.

The carpet is actually in a vehicle and is on a vertical face, so the repair will have to resist the effects of gravity pulling the heavy carpet down. As such I don't think a traditional carpet seaming tape will do the job and I would be more comfortable with a tape that is initially glued but also sewn all the way through the carpet and the repair tape. Its going to need to be a very heavy duty repair - but is slightly out of sight.

Can anyone suggest a solution? - I am very tempted to order some nice wide jute tape like this and glue it on the back of the tear with a heavy adhesive like this bostik stuff. Then, as I only ever want to do this once, I could sew right through the carpet and through the jute tape with my speedy stitcher.

Is there an easier way or a better product I haven't considered? Replacement isn't an option as its a pre-moulded piece of carpet and foam and the cost is extortionate.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've seen carpetlayers stitching. Very big, untidy stitches and knots show on the back, some sort of thick twine, looked like it might have been sisal. The glue was Copydex

On the top, the stitches hardly show because they use what is now delicately called "pick stitching" by tailors.

they sometimes tighten it by sprinkling on water so the backing and tape shrink.

There is a carpet sewing machine, if you can find someone who makes car mats they will have one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back