Shed cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to build my own shed, but 2 of the sides are going to be as close as possible to granite/ block built walls that are about 5 ft high.
The old B&Q shed was in place for 15 years and it was only the back corner that had started to rot.
What would be the best way to finish these 2 walls at the best cost?

Sponsored Links
Would anyone have any ideas? Not the most attractive, but I could use waterproof ply?

you can, I have used WBP ply for the shed end of my carport. I had some 18mm left over, it is quite strong and rigid. Fixings will rust so use galvanised, or stainless screws which will cost a little more.

A few tips:
Protect the bottom 150mm or so from contact with the ground and from rainsplash. Eaves overhang will help but I also fitted a metal kickplate. You must have gutters and a downpipe to lead the water away. If you can build it on a couple of courses of brick this will keep the timber off the wet ground.

Be sure water cannot penetrate end grain. Again, the eaves should protect the top, but a metal or plastic angle will protect the corners

Treat it with a water repellent coating (I used Fence Stain, which leaves a waxy film and is very cheap and easy), preferably before final assembly so you can treat hidden parts and edges.

If, later on, you can afford to clad it with shiplap or even featheredge, it will look prettier and shed rain better. No need to remove the ply.

Protect the bottom 150mm or so from contact with the ground and from rainsplash. Eaves overhang will help but I also fitted a metal kickplate.
A small trench around the perimeter filled with gravel will also help with rain splash.

Or for a bit of wow-factor, a small trench with an LED ropelight in it, filled with crushed glass.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
It will be 6inches away from the boundary, replacing the old one and either 8x6 or 8x10.
The gravel idea sounds good, I already have a pile unused so will use that

Thanks.
Yes the shed will need planning permission, but it's just replacing the old one that caused no planning issues. They are aware of the original shed as I had an extension to the house and building control/planning view the build as it is progressing and it was Ok.
If they do complain, I will do a retrospective application which would get granted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back