Should I need to sign disclaimer for scaffolding for roofer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Have just arranged for a chimney stack reduction
The roofer organizes the scaffolding and it needs to come off a balcony
Is it normal to have to sign a disclaimer re any damage to the balcony?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on the wording.

They can't disclaim damage caused by negligence, but I guess they could draw attention to the risk of rubbing or minor wear and tear. They could also limit their liability for failure to consider the suitability.

Shall i ask to see the disclaimer first do you think? The roofer was basically saying that they cant guarantee that they wont damage our balcony but theyve done it many times and are careful. Is that right they cant disclaim damage by negligence? My partner thinks I am being overcautious but a couple of grand on a reduction and bits, I kind of thought that sort of thing would be covered. Maybe I am being unrealistic?

What protection are they proposing to lay on top of the existing balcony floor to minimise damage? What is the existing balcony finish?

Sponsored Links
It was built as a proper balcony,The balcony has wooden joists and is on top of a garage. It then has plywood. Then it has a rubber membrane sheet thing, then thick black rubber tiles which i think were called eurotiles

This is it from a distance from the front amd back. The chimney is hard to get to. It has got bar things holding it up though. Heres front and back

IMG_2528.jpeg
IMG_2526.png

Heres it a bit closer up. Someone just mentioned….do you think he might be worried about the weight? And also, unrelated, shouldnt the scaffold people come round and look before the day? I am too scared to ask the roofer now! Wish i hadnt paid a deposit,but he never mentioned this.
IMG_2529.png

it doesn't need to come off the balcony. its the esiest way i guess.
Ask about use of beams. as you rather not have it on the balcony.. if they say it can not be done. Get another

Tower up the front and send beams back from that. They would sit on the ridge, and any work platform could come up off of that .
A good scaffolder could do it easy enough.
You may get the odd damaged tile when it comes down, but tie that in with the roofer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back